Dunedin is a treasure trove of spectacular scenery, wildlife and historic buildings. Let one of our local guides show you around their home ground. Our tours can be guided in English, French or German.
Take a private tour with us and see the real Dunedin
Choose one of our popular tour options:
- Tour 1: City Highlights and Historic Houses
- Tour 2: Wildlife on the Otago Peninsula
- Tour 3: Hobbit and Farm Heartland Tour
Tour 1: City Highlights and Historic Houses
This tour starts from the ship at Port Chalmers wharf. This 6-hour day tour starts at 9.30am or by arrangement.
Highlights of the tour
- Signal Hill lookout to view the stunning panorama of Dunedin
- Baldwin Street (the world steepest street)
- The Otago University (New Zealand’s first university)
- Dunedin’s iconic railway station, a beautiful example of Flemish Renaissance design.
- Olveston historic home (occupied as a family home between 1906 to 1966 and opened as a historic house museum in 1967).
- St Clair Beach with a breath-taking view of the Southern Ocean and here you can enjoy a light lunch at the Esplanade.
- Larnach Castle & Gardens (New Zealand’s only castle, which was build over a century ago up on the hills of the Otago Peninsula).
- After this, we will drive along the scenic Dunedin harbour and return to the ship’s wharf at Port Chalmers by 3:30pm.
- You can choose to end the tour in the city centre and experience Dunedin independently and take the cruise ship shuttle back to ship (NZ$10 fare apply) if you wish.
Tour Duration: 6 hours (Port/Return)
Start Time: 9:30 am from ship’s wharf, Port Chalmers, Dunedin
Tour Price: NZ$ 152 per adult
Activity Level: light
- Prices include our transport to and from ship’s wharf as well as attraction entry fees.
- Prices do not include: meals and refreshments or the shuttle if you choose this.
Tour 2: Wildlife on the Otago Peninsula
The Otago Peninsula offers a variety of rare and endangered species of wildlife such as the yellow eyed penguin, sea lions, NZ fur seals, albatrosses, spotted shags, mollymawks, shearwaters, etc.
This 7-hour day tour starts at 9.00am from the ship at Port Chalmers wharf and will take you to see the Northern Royal Albatross and the Yellow Eyed Penguin colony.
Highlights of the tour
- Drive along the harbour road to the city of Dunedin and on to the Otago Peninsula.
- Arrive at the Royal Albatross Centre and embark on a guided tour.
- The "Albatross Classic tour" includes an introductory presentation followed by a short and steep walk to the observatory to enjoy the view of the Albatross nesting and breeding area.
- After the tour there will time for coffee and for a look around the gift shop for souvenirs.
- We will then depart to our next stop to visit the Conservation Reserve of the Yellow Eyed Penguins.
- The tour involves a presentation on the life and ecology of the Yellow Eyed Penguins.
- Then you will be going on a short bus ride through the farm and over the hill to the private Pipikaretu Beach for a walking tour and through a series of camouflaged tunnels and hides around the colony. Most likely you will also be able to see New Zealand Fur Seals on the rocky shore.
- We will then make our way back to the city to view the Dunedin’s iconic railway station and the city centre
- The group will then depart from Dunedin city to Port Chalmers in time for the ship’s departure.
Tour Duration: 7 hours (Port/Return)
Start Time: 9:00 am from ship’s wharf, Port Chalmers, Dunedin | Arrive back to ship 4 pm
Tour Price: NZ$192 per adult
- Includes entry fees for both wildlife tours are included in the price.
- Prices does not include: meals and refreshments.
Note: Tours run with a minimum of 10 people. For smaller or larger groups please contact us to find out charter rate options.
Tour 3: Farm Heartland Tour
This tour starts from the ship at Port Chalmers wharf. This 7-hour day tour starts at 9:00am or by arrangement.
Highlights of the tour
- One hour drive through Heartland New Zealand farmland to quaint Middlemarch
- Then we will drive to the Moonlight Valley to Foulden Hills Farm where the animals are raised with exceptionally high standards of care and compassion.
- The highlight will be to view and interact with a variety of sheep of different breeds (including the iconic colored merino) and cattle including large tame Hereford and Santa Gertrudis bulls.
- You will be able to get up close with the animals, most of which have names. You can touch and feed the animals and talk to the farmers to find out more about their way of farming in New Zealand.
- We will take you into the shearing shed and often we can arrange a shearing demonstration. The wool fibre is all pure, sustainably grown and natural with no chemical additives at all.
- We will then have an arranged picnic before making our way back towards Dunedin.
- Next we head towards the Eastern Coast via Macraes Gold Mine - New Zealand's largest gold producing operation. A huge open pit operation that has produced over 4 million ounces of gold since operations began in 1990.
- From here we head back to the main highway and connect with the picturesque eastern coastline route back to Port Chalmers and return to the ship by 4:30pm.
Tour Duration: 7.5 hours (Port/Return)
Start Time: 9:00 am from ship’s wharf, Port Chalmers, Dunedin
Tour Price: NZ$ 179 per adult
Activity Level: light (sturdy walking shoes are required for the Hobbit filming site)
- Prices include our transport to and from ship’s wharf as well as attraction entry fees and a picnic.
NOTE: Tours run with a minimum of 6 people and a maximum of 10 people.
As well as our standard tour outlined above we can also build or customise a tour around other attractions that you may want to visit. Following are some activities and scenic options to consider:
- Speights Brewery
- Cadbury Factory
- Orokonui Wildlife Sanctuary
- Moeraki Boulders
- Taieri Gorge Train
Please be aware that these attractions have individual costs and usually require pre-booking well in advance to ensure access. Please contact us to find out more about building your own itinerary.